Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tummy Touchers

When I was about 10 weeks pregnant and you could not tell a bit from the outside Mark and I had dinner with my family. My brother ran up and touched my belly and I got so mad I think I could have punched him out right then if we hadn't been in public. I thought, what makes him thinks that's ok. They just had their first child about 7 months ago and wouldn't he know better. It also angered me because I was only ten weeks and had nothing to show but what seemed like an extra layer of fat, so don't touch the fat!

I used to say that I would have no problem telling people to back off my belly bump. I had no problem telling my brother 10 weeks into it. He was pretty clear on how I felt. I used to think that it would really tick me off and I couldn't even really believe that it would be a problem. I couldn't believe that people would really feel it impossible to just NOT touch my tummy, or any pregnant woman's tummy. I have never really wanted to touch a pregnant gal's baby bump. I think mostly I was afraid of it....like it was a disease I could catch. Ridiculous, I know!

Let's fast forward to the fact that I have a little baby bump now. One that people are noticing and that some people want to touch.  I'm sure that group will grow as the bump becomes larger and that it will become an even more ridiculously strong magnet to curious well meaning hands. So, how have I personally handled these unnecessary touches and rubs? It has been with a smile and...drum roll...that's it. Now that I have a baby bump and that's clearly what it is, it hasn't bothered me when people want to touch it or say things about it. Sorry, you may have been looking for advice on how to deal with the tummy touchers, and their is plenty of information on the internet to help you handle these people but not here. I just can't help you.

I can't believe I had a change of heart on this matter and I can't even really describe where the change of heart has come from. It's just that I don't mind. I am glad people are noticing now. I guess it makes me happy that people want to touch my baby boy even though he is unreachable and safe inside of me. I also realize that some people find so much joy in an unborn child and when I see how happy our baby already makes people it also makes me happy. It's more fun to me that people want to be "hands on" and I just really don't mind it.  I was wearing a sweater the other day that covered my bump and when a family friend came in reaching out to touch I just automatically opened my sweater to show off my rounding bump and let her get in that quick little belly rub I could tell she so desperately wanted.

So as far as tummy touchers go, I have embraced them. I may have a bad day when one catches me off guard but for the most part it is fine. My fear of strangers hands just NEEDING to give my belly a pat and a rub has subsided and I'm content with letting people give their brief physical attention to my tum tum and moving on.

Danielle 

No comments:

Post a Comment