Thursday, October 18, 2012

Husbands First

It is October so we might as well talk about something scary. Let's review my husbands first birth video viewing! YIKES! Hang with me if you wish but if you're family or a friend and this topic might weird you out, then go ahead a skip it.

I myself have been watching birth videos since my sister in law was pregnant with my nephew. Then I started watching them 5x's more once I got pregnant. I have watched so many now I hardly blink and eye. I think I've seen just about every single one you tube has to offer. It is interesting to me, I enjoy watching them, and some of them even make me tear up a bit. I can just only imagine the birth of our son and seeing him for the first time.

Mark, however, was forced to watch the birth video in 8th grade health class and has probably avoided them like the plague ever since. That is, until recently. Our Bradly method class has us watching videos at home and one popped in a surprise birth video in at the end that happened so fast I didn't have a second to pull the laptop away and shield my unknowing husbands innocent eyes.

He was shocked, so shocked in fact I think he was scared. Actually I know he was scared because he jumped about 5 feet in the air when the lady gave her last big push, which was basically all the video consisted of. There was this woman and all of her...ahem...womaness out there for the world to see as her baby was being born. An interesting thing happened when the lady gave her final push and before the baby just slid out (in like 1.5 seconds, which is why I was not able to protect my dear hubby). With her final push a burst of fluid came out of her in water hose like fashion and I think my husband about had a heart attack.

I can help but laugh thinking about it. He said he just didn't know what it was. He thought the baby's head exploded or something. Haha, you'll have to excuse the fact that I find WAY too much humor in this story. My poor naive husband. After I finished laughing my tail off we proceeded to watch the video (all 1.5 seconds of it) again and again until he could watch without jumping out of his skin. All this watching was his idea mind you. I'm so proud that he was willing to face his fear. Since then we have watched a couple of more videos that have been all viewed by me first to make sure they aren't too traumatizing.

On our agenda tonight is to watch more birth videos that is our homework for our Bradley class. I won't preview these first but only hope for the best. It was quite awkward to watch those videos with Mark at first but now he says that though it looks a little rough it is just part of it and it's what everyone does to bring a baby into this world. Except those that do a c-section and that would probably be even worse to watch. So...we continue the learning process.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment