Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Heavy Lifting

I am 25 weeks and a few days pregnant and do a fair amount of lifting at my job. When I got pregnant and started asking my Dr. about the lifting he, before I could really finish explaining myself, said whatever you were doing before will be fine. Ok Doc, if you say so. But, for you all to know, I have been regularly lifting 60lbs for about 5-6 years now and typically weighed about 135 throughout that time. It really only took me gaining about my first 10lbs and belly growing a few inches for the 60lbs to be pretty painful on my back. I unloaded a shipment one day, about 5,000 lbs or 5 kips of seed (throwing the "kip" term to make my older BIL proud) and felt like major POO for a few days after. This was early on so I have since bumped down my level to 40lbs at at a time and I'll be darned if this is already starting to bother me.

40lbs seems like nothing to me but the fact that I've already put on about 20lbs and my balance is slightly off plus you can add all those awesome other side effects of pregnancy like round ligament pain, sciatic nerve pain, lower back pain, and cramps then I might as well just say screw it and I kind of have. I still carry seed out to peoples car, up to 40lbs but unloading shipments well, let's just say that craps for the birds...or my splendid employees. I think that not being able to strengthen my abs or core muscles as much as I did before is also a factor.

So, the moral of the story is listen to your body, duh. I did mention it to my Dr. and told him how much I really lift on a regular basis at my last apt and he advised me to tone it down and listen to my body. What a genuis, I knew their was a reason we paid him so much. I will have to do a review on my Dr.'s office and Doctor in the near future and then one at the end when all is said and done. Listen to your body ladies!

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment