Monday, October 29, 2012

Changing Table

Mark and I got a changing table from a second hand store. This was after I won my crib and dresser from Baby Bloomers so we had plans for it from the very start. I wanted to get started on it right away and because of my rush the project took longer than expected. Below is what we started with and the idea was to paint the door red and get some red baskets to go on the shelves. I immediately bought red paint, Valspar Cut Ruby to be exact. It took about 4 coats on the door to cover. I had several apple baskets at work so I brought 3 home and spray painted them the Cut Ruby as well. On a side note, do not spray paint when preggo. It's not healthy. I did because I was impatient, I did it out side so it was well ventilated but either way...just don't do it. I wouldn't do it again. 

The before of the white changing table.
Before of the baskets.
Next I should be showing you the after but yet I still have the between to tell you about. My Cut Ruby color did not match our dresser & crib that was on order. I brought the paint swatch to Baby Bloomers along with a few others and did match one with it as close as I could get w/o asking our crib manufacturer for their extra paint.

Back to painting, I painted the baskets, Mark painted the door....another 3 coats by the way!
Painting the baskets again.

2 coats to cover.
After we finished our baskets and door we reassembled then thing and LOVED the way it looked. Until....we moved it into the bedroom. Eli's room was freshly painted with a beautiful white coat on all the trim and doors. The room looked so amazing that our 2nd hand changing table looked...eh...not so great. What looked like white to us ended up looking like a dirty off white. Would Eli care...no...would we care...yes. Haha, it's so silly but we have some other white & red furniture coming and we want it all to match. Back to Lowes to buy more paint. White this time. Mark painted the whole thing white.
It was his idea to paint it white. So he was a trooper.
I thought we could just give it a good scrub and it might be ok.
Yes...my husband still sits like he is 3 occasionally. :)
After the fresh coat of white paint, 2 coats, it looked 100x's better. It was so worth the extra hour of work to really get it perfected. I love that the top that holds the changing pad can be removed so in the future we can refurbish this into something else as well. So...here is the (almost) final product.

Our refurbished changing table!
I just love it! I said almost final project because I want to add some felt to the bottom of the baskets so they don't scratch or rub off on the white paint. I also want to add yellow basket liners to the baskets and perhaps a little yellow banner or ribbon around each one. Our main colors are the blue, red, plus the white but some yellow will be incorporated here and there as well. Our theme could get a little crazy so I still want to keep it simple. And speaking of theme....there's a pretty good clue below.

Now we just need to get Giedo on board with all this baby stuff.
Danielle

1 comment: