Sunday, October 7, 2012

Heavy Weight Champion

Alright, here it is, I truly do hate talking about this subject but I'm going to throw it all out there. I have always been fairly active, eaten fairly healthy and held my weight at a healthy level. I had hoped that one day when I got pregnant I would be the type to be doing yoga classes, continue jogging the bridge, keep up with my 'light' weight lifting, and munching on salads, fruit, and grilled chicken. Well, damn it...I've been a failure in each of these departments. It's quite pathetic actually. How did this happen? How did I go from a motivated fitness focused woman to the junk food junkie and nap taker that I currently am?

Before I dive into that, let me just say I am harder on myself than an outsider might be. No one would look at me and my current lifestyle and think all the negative things I think but none the less it's how I feel. During the first trimester I never got sick but once. I would feel nauseous and only want carbs. I also got so darn tired. I thought at the time I was just getting lazy but looking back I really was exhausted. I felt depressed because my energy level was so low and I hardly got anything done around the house. That passed and I realize that I should have acknowledged that my body was new to growing a baby and needed time to adjust.

Because I never got sick, was tired, and only wanted carbs, while some women are losing weight their first trimester I put on about 15 pounds. YIKES, especially when I was told to put on 25-35 through the whole thing. More than halfway through my second trimester my husband I went on a trip. I hadn't weighed myself for about a week before the trip and then weighed myself when I got back and wouldn't you know 10 more pounds practically popped up over night! This is where I currently stand. 23 weeks, 25lbs gained and 17 weeks left to go. 17 weeks to put on 10lbs and Eli weighs about 1.5lbs right now so he has a bit of weight gain to go himself.

We had our Bradly Method class last night and we all discussed weight gain. Our teacher said she gained 50lbs...that's what my mom, sister in law, and several other women I have talked to said they gained while pregnant even though supposedly the average is 35lbs. The other girls in our class including myself were all over their recommended pace of weight gain so that all makes me feel "normal" but not satisfied. I wish I could be one of those women that just says "Screw it, I'm pregnant and this is my time" but I still feel guilty when I over indulge or don't work out.

I have been doing some work out videos, walking, and stretching/yoga but nothing consistently. I have also been eating mostly...mostly what my heart desires and even though I am already 23 weeks into this thing I have decided to make a change. I don't want to feel like a blob when Eli comes and I don't want my muscles to be as weak as an autumn leaf when I am trying to get back into shape postpartum. It's never to late to start and that includes when you are pregnant. I'll let you know how it goes and what I did to try to turn things around.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment