Monday, October 8, 2012

Empty Nest Syndrome

You probably don't know this because I haven't mentioned it since I started this blog, I don't think, but Mark and I have had 2-3 room mates living in our house since the day we bought it. We call them tenants sometimes to make us feel more adult but really they were just room mates. Since  I have known my husband eh...6 years, we have never lived a lone with just the two of us. That is so crazy! Especially in a time when people live together alone for years before they get married then do the same after marriage but we are different. Haha.

It started when we bought our house a year before we got married. We were engaged, the market was right, and we thought...hmmm, it we buy our house now, fill it with room mates and I kept my apt with my room mate then we could really put some savings away. So we did just that. We had all intentions of getting rid of the room mates when we got back from our honey moon and, long story short, we spent money like a rockstar on our honey moon and quite enjoyed it. We thought, "hey, if we keep our room mates then we can do more things like this". Thankfully we had some very low maintenance fellows living in the house and we didn't mind at all and loved the extra money.

For our first 2.5 years of marriage we have shared our house with people. Some have come and gone and some stayed throughout. It worked for us so simply and made so much sense for us. (I know you're calling me crazy) As soon as we found out about our bundle to be we told them they would need to be out by the end of Sept. Now...on the 6th of October they are out. I can't lie, although our situation worked for us and the good way overcame the bad, I have been looking forward to this day. Now that it is here and our last one out said good by I feel sad.

As the last one drove away I almost cried, ok fine I won't lie to you, I did cry. In the house, after he was gone so as not to seem like a crazy person but I did. Mark didn't answer his phone & he is at work so I couldn't talk to him and anyone else would probably think I was crazy or overly emotional. Maybe both. But I sit here, in a big house with no people, 3 empty bedrooms, no tv's blasting, an empty bathroom and it just makes me think about the future.

I'm so happy for our future and so looking forward to Eli's arrival but it's just another part of our life to say goodbye too as we prepare for our new life. I have no doubt our new life will be an improvement but it's just appropriate to mourn pieces of your old life as you move forward.

On the bright side I have 3 cans of paint, a healthy savings account, and 3 rooms plus a bathroom to make our own!

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment