Friday, November 2, 2012

Heavy Weight Champion Update

A several weeks ago in my post "Heavy Weight Champion" I had stated that I had gained 25lbs already and still had 17 weeks to go in this pregnancy. I was bound and determined to turn the weight gain train around or at least stop it...or hell, even slowing it down would have been better than the high speed ride I was on before. I didn't fully go into detail about my plans to control this train but I had some ideas and some I even put into action.

As of now I have reached the 3rd trimester and have 12 weeks  to go. I have attended several parties, dinners, and the fair. I have also not been working out which was on my to do list and I've been making "pintrest" recipes like it's my job. Trust me, not all of them were "pinned" because of their healthy ingredients. You may think I have perhaps even put this train into high gear and stacked on the pounds since I have last spoken about weight but I am here to tell you the opposite. Before I tell you how much I have gained since my heay weight post let me tell you some of the positive things I have been doing.

I left my heavy weight post with full motivation and ready to take on the world. This motivation is important to keep in touch with and it's important to talk about on a regular basis. Since that post I have had my ups and downs but I have made some pretty good changes in general that have seemed to have a positive effect.

  • WATER: I have made it a point to drink more water. My "What to Expect" app has warned me of retaining fluid and swelling. I would like to avoid that at all cost. Swollen hands and feet is one thing but my face swelling is not flattering. Any time I think about it I chug water. I started buying cases of bottled water, which I have previously avoided because I find plastic bottles a waste but this has allowed me to constantly have fresh, cold water at all times. I have a goal of 3 water bottles a day plus any extra that I have at home and with my meals. When ever I get just a tad thirsty or my rings feel tighter than normal I chug as much H20 as I can. On a side note, I have never really drank anything but water with my meals or when I'm thirsty. I am not a soda or juice person unless my juice is very diluted with water.
  • VEGETABLES: Well this is obvious. Eating more veggies is easier said than done in my opinion. I like vegetables but fresh ones go bad so quickly, I'm not a big believer in the health benifits of canned, and frozen ones I just haven't gotten the hang of yet. I have made some fun vegetable salads and also stocked up on fruit. I have added tomatoes, lettuce, and avacado to all of my sandwiches and wraps, I try to eat easy veggies and fruits as sides, and I have found different ways to sneak them in such as grated zuchini in burger patties. When out eating I try to get a vegetable as a side instead of fries which I always used to do until I got pregnant and started giving into my fry addiction. I went to Wendy's to grab Mark and I a quick dinner before a halloween party and I got a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and a side garden salad. Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger not so healthy but with the side salad it actually wasn't a terrible meal.
  • HOMEMADE MEALS: Even if I do make an amazing yet nutritionally lacking chicken & dumplings meal or a boston butt with potatoes the point is that it is homeade. Our crock pot chicken & dumplings meal is hardly an A+ in the health department but eat a chicken & dumplings meal from a restuarant and I can pretty much garauntee you will get twice as much butter, salt, and fat. A full meal from Mc. Donalds also has more salt & fat than our hearty chicken & dumplings meal not to mention all the other unhealthy additives.
  • FROZEN MEALS: I'm talking DIY frozen meals here. I have been making boatloads of frozen breakfast burritos for Mark and I plus frozen turkey & zuchini patties for lunch for me. As long as there is something in the freezer easily able to be mircrowaved we always have a homemade, healthy, convenient option on our hands. This has been huge in helping me get back to eating healthy and saving us money as well. Mark also makes his lunch meals for the week which typically just consist of a meal and whole wheat pasta but again that option is 50x's better than fast food which would offer no whole grains and who knows what kind of meat.
  • FIBER & WHOLE GRAINS: Everyone knows that when your pregnant your pluming sytem isn't what it used to be and let's just be honest you can put on 5lbs or even more just from not going to the bathroom on a regular basis. On top of whole grains being filling and healthy they also help you stay more regular. I try to stay on top of my bathroom time and make sure I don't get behind. I am a happier and much more comfortable person doing so.
These 5 things are changes I have made and have made a big difference. I still have things I need to add such as exercise and I still need to indulge less than I do now. This may be difficult with the holiday season fast approaching but I still need to try. It's important to continue this pregnancy healthy and happy.

So for the grand total of my weight gain since my heavy weight post.....2lbs. That's 2lbs in 5 weeks which is healthy enough for baby Eli and healthy enough for me. If I continue at this rate and put on 5lbs in the next 12 weeks I will still be in my "recommended" weight limit but even if I gain 13lbs I will be within my personal goal of 40lbs. That gives me some wiggle room for the holidays.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment