Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Crib and Dresser Arrive

Oh my goodness they are finally here!!! As I mentioned in a few posts ago, I am a little behind on posts and although I have been posting I haven't caught up to the current events. GAH! Anyways, we had been waiting and waiting and WAITING on our crib and dresser to arrive and even though we ordered and knew we had to wait, it was just like waiting on Christmas or a birthday or...the arrival of your first kid. HAHA! Ok, I guess waiting on the crib and dresser isn't quite as suspenseful as waiting on your first child but everything was on hold until these two items came in so we were more than ready when they arrived about 2 weeks ago.

Mark was so anxious he wanted to call the people at the store everyday and ask them about our furniture. I had to remind him that they wouldn't just be holding it and not call us and that we would know as soon as it came in.

We were in Burlington looking at strollers when my phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize so I handed the phone over to Mark. He handles all my "solicitor, bill collector, or blood collector" phone calls like a champ. The blood collectors are the worst! We pay all our bills on time unless there's a mix up but dang...you donate blood one time and get harrassed for the rest of your life. I only have so much blood to give out and right now it's all going to baby Eli!

Mark answered and immediately I knew it was Baby Bloomers. He had this look of major excitement on his face and started walking towards the exit telling the people on the phone thank you and that we'd be there in just a few minutes.

Mark was also in the middle of a "vacation" and had off for the next few days so he was thrilled it came in before he went back to work. We were both so excited and couldn't stop talking about about what to do next in the nursery as we headed to the store to pick up our furniture.

 We got it in the bed of the truck and were advised that it would travel best if sitting up like this...
Proud and excited daddy!
 We followed instructions but there was just one tiny problem...we rushed up to Baby Bloomers and realized we only had one strap...and it was not the yellow one you see above. It was a much tinier red one that just barely held the dresser and crib together.
Even Giedo knew something wasn't right and that we should rethink our situation before we go driving down the road...oh yeah...and over the biggest bridge in Charleston on one of the windiest days we have had in a long time BUT since when do we listen to the dog. Of course we could have also listened to me when I said "Are you sure that won't blow over and fall out of the truck?" but naahh. We went on our merry way.

Bridge to left

Our merry way was merry up until we hit the highest point of the bridge. About 200 feet from the ocean mind you and during rush hour traffic. All of the sudden Mark starts freaking out yelling "It's falling, it's falling! The d*** thing is falling out of the truck!!!" I looked back and sure enough the wind had caught the dresser and it was indeed about to fall out of the truck. My main concern was that it would fall out of the truck and seriously hurt someone. I'm pretty sure Mark's main concern was that we were about to lose Eli's brand new furniture. I think Mark started hyperventilating a little bit and maybe pooed his pants (just kidding on that) and I decided to just sit there and say nothing until we were safely at the bottom of the bridge.

We did arrive safely at the bottom of the bridge and our dresser was hanging in by a drawer knob. We pulled over into the first place we could and Mark re-rigged everything for the rest of the ride home which involved no heights or fast pace driving.

For the rest of the ride home I couldn't help but laugh. I don't know why I just found the whole thing amusing and just crazy that we seriously almost lost the furniture we had waited months for. 
 Here we are at our house, safe and sound. Except that the pieces were quite heavy and as of now we only have one heavy lifter in the family.
 That really didn't slow us down too much though. The set was packaged great and Mark was determined to get it indoors and to Eli's room as quickly as possible.

"I promise little red dreser, I'll never let go!"
 Safely in my arms and in Eli's room. Nothing can hurt you now my "little red dresser that could".  After it's crazy adventure we inspected and there was not a single dent or scratch.
 Together at last and the dresser was safe however, we still had to assemble the crib which could have been dangerous but in fact it was quite easy and together we had it done in probably less than 30 minutes.
 Oh yes, "together" we had it done quite quickly and simply. My very important job for all this was to set the tripod up in just the right spot, and click the remote shutter release just when it looked like I was working the hardest. I then had to run back to the camera, check the photo for blurriness, unnessesary fat rolls, very unflattering angles or lighting and then retake as nessessary. I know what you're thinking...I work too hard... and you're right.



 Haha, yes I am a hard worker. The crib wouldn't have made it up without me. Or Giedo...he helped about as much as I did.




PS. I am actually helping in this one.
Once we got our crib and dresser in, we had to move it about 4x's because some of our original ideas of where to put them didn't work with the size of the furniture. The crib and dresser are amazing in quality and filled up the room a little more than we had first thought. Everything is in the proper place now but it took a few moves.

Getting our crib and dresser was an experience and looking back I can really say I just kind of enjoy when things like that happen because it adds an interesting story to an exciting time in our lives.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment