Friday, November 9, 2012

Bradley Series Lesson 2

Continuing on with what I got out of my Bradley classes we will move to lesson two which was all about nutrition. Even before this class I could say that I believe nutrition is the single most important thing you can do for your health along with physical movement. It makes since to me that it would be the same during pregnancy but just like in any other time of life, that can be easier said than done.

Our Bradley class nor any of the Bradley books I have read focus on calorie counting. Mostly that what you put in your body is nutritional and beneficial for you and the baby. They also stress the importance of a high protein diet during pregnancy and a well balanced diet. The "elements of a well-balanced diet" are defined in my Bradley work book as this:

  • Milk Products, 4 servings
  • Eggs, 2 a day
  • Protein, 2 servings
  • Greens. 2 servings
  • Whole Grains, 4 servings
  • Citrus, 1-2 servings
  • Fats & Oils, 3 servings
  • Yellow & Orange Colored Fruits or Veggies, 5 servings a week
  • Salt. Too little decreases blood circulation, leads to leg cramps, and fatigue. Obviously you can over do it with the salt if you eat a bunch of fast food. Just salt your food to taste and you'll be fine.
  • Water, is very important & accounts for 75% of baby's weight. Drink to thirst. I have told you all in a previous post my water goals which are three 16oz bottles a day on top of the water I have with my meals and any other I drink when thirsty. 
 In this class we also went over nutritional needs for our baby. This stressed the importance of breastfeeding and explained the nutritional needs that are met through breast feeding. On that note, I need to sign up for a breast feeding class. I haven't been around many people that breast fed their children and I know very little about it besides the fact that it is healthiest for your child.

Again, we also had homework to recap our lesson learned. I can not stress enough that my posts on my Bradley class is just to familiarize you all a little more with what the Bradley method is and what classes were like for me. They are also for me to recap things that I have learned and reevaluate things that are most important.

Thanks!
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment