Monday, November 5, 2012

Bradley Series Lesson 1

Mark and I are taking the Bradley Method Classes in preparation for Eli's birth. It has been interesting and the classes have definitely kept our goal of a natural birth top of mind. I had read the "Husband Coached Childbirth" and am now reading "Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way". If you are a self motivated person I do think that the books would be enough to grasp the ideas and make it through a natural childbirth but if not then the class is a help.

I believe I wrote about our first class but wanted to take things and make them a little more organized. Our class is cut a few weeks short because we have a mother due at the end of November. Because of that, a few lessons are put into one class each time.

I had looked all over the internet trying to find a blog from someone who had taken a Bradley class during their pregnancy to get an idea of what it was like but had no luck. Now that we are soon to finish up our class I wanted to take it lesson by lesson and explain what the class really entails. Obviously this is not a substitute for the class or the books, simply my personal experience and what I got out of each section.

Bradley Serious Lesson 1:

EXERCISE
  • Exercise during pregnancy. 
    • Tailor sitting or what I always knew as sitting indian style. It is recommended that you sit this way as often as possible during your pregnancy to move the uterus forward, stretch inner thighs, and improve circulation. It's an easy one to incorporate, as I type this right now I am on the floor sitting indian style.
    • Squatting. Squatting refers not to the multiple squats you might be used to doing in the gym as a workout to tone your legs but as an all the way down to the ground squat position that you might hold for a bit. This helps strengthen your legs but is also an important position to be comfortable in because when it comes time to push during labor, a squat can open your pelvis by more than 10%.
    • Pelvic Rocking. This is one that is very important in my book. It really provides some lower back pain relief. The idea for this one is to get on your hands and knees and tilt your pelvis forward. Unlike the cat stretch this exercise should not round out your entire back but should specifically target the movement of your pelvis. 
    • Butterfly. This one involves a partner but in my opinion the idea is to strengthen your outter thighs so a couple of machines at the gym work for this or so lying on your side and lifting your upper leg into the air. I may not be correct in these having the same effect but again, it was my interpretation. In the the suggested butterfly exercise you face your partner with feet on the ground and knees up. Your partner provides resistance as you spread your knees out and downward towards the floor. This should work to strengthen the legs and reduce shaking that happens after the birth.
    • Kegels. If you don't know what these are look it up. They are suggested to be done as often as possible and increasing in reps daily. I feel like I could do these all day long and it still wouldn't be enough. 
    • Side Relaxation & Sleep position. This is to reduce stress on certain parts of the body, help you relax and focus. I like to do this while imagining myself in labor. It is what you ideally should do when you do get into intense labor. You lay on your side lower leg straight, other leg bent up and resting on a pillow. A pillow also supports your upper arm, chest, belly, and head. When I have pains in my lower back a quick nap in this position is all it takes to help relieve the discomfort.  
RELAXATION
  • Relaxation during pregnancy
    • Relaxation is most important. It is what will get you through labor wit the least amount of pain. Tensing up is what causes more pain.
    • Practice. In general I feel like most people know how to relax. I mean, who in their life has never taken a nap. The difference is practicing a deep relaxation and really focusing on what it takes to get you to a relaxed state. Also noting when different parts of your body tense up and how to recognize and release that tension before you hold it too long. 
    • Practice in many different circumstances. It is challenging for me to take a break from the middle of my day randomly and focus on relaxation but I need to try harder. In labor you won't be just relaxing in the bed before you go to sleep but relaxing through one of the most physically challenging things your body with probably ever go through. 
These two topics were the basics of our first lesson. Again, just my summary and what I got out of it. We were given some homework that night and tings to review over throughout the week before our next class. It will be important to reconnect with these two things throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I strongly believe in mind over matter especially in labor but if your body is also not physically prepared it will make things much more difficult.

Side note, as far as the exercise goes we are also encouraged to do workout activities like walking, dvd's, yogo...anything that will keep you in good physical health. I will also post a video of the exercises we were recommended to preform so you all can see what each one actually looks like in motion.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment