Saturday, November 17, 2012

Bradley Series Lesson 3

The 3rd lesson in the Bradley workbook was on the pregnancy. It taught us a little bit about gestation and things that are harmful during pregnancy. We also went over the "built in protection" that the baby has including things like amniotic fluid, vernix, the pelvis and uterus and other things and how they work to keep the baby safe until birth. This reassured me that our little bundle is not made of glass but even if he was, he is packaged safely. I closed the car door the other day hitting my belly in the process forgetting it was there. I may have had some concern if I didn't know how well he was protected but the fact that I do made me laugh at him wondering what the heck just happened.

We also discussed aches and pains during the pregnancy, why they happen, and what you can do to help relieve some of them. The aches and pains were plentiful:
  • heartburn
  • gas
  • bleeding gums
  • varicose veins
  • leg cramps
  • hemorrhoids
  • fatigue
  • constipation
  • backache
  • weight gain
  • sore breast
  • sleeping problems
  • yeast infections
  • water retention
  • pain in groin
  • moodiness
  • headaches
  • braxton hicks contractions
  • morning sickness
I haven't had too many of these too severe but for those interested in the Bradley class or learning more I will go over recomendation for a few of the things I have had some issues with so you can get an idea of how Bradley suggests handling discomforts.

  • Leg Cramps:
    • Pelvic rock to improve circulation, squat, tailor sit, elevate legs when sleeping
    • Be sure salt intake is adequate
    • Eat calcium rich foods
    • Exercise regularly
    • Massage
  • Sleeping Problems:
    • Exercise enough
    • Cut out caffeine
    • Sleep with supporting pillows
    • Have coach make a more serene environment (hello nightly massage)
    • Warm beverages
  • Pain in Groin:
    • Pelvic rocks
    • Lean forward until pain stops
    • Avoid jerky movements
And just an FYI I had no idea what this "groin pain" was about. On my "What to Expect" app I read about girls asking why they felt like someone kicked them down there and I just didn't get what they meant or how it could feel that way but 'holy groin pain batman' that is just ridiculous. I'm not sure what causes it but I'll be asking at my next appointment. The three I choose to elaborate on were just a few of the things that apply to me but I have also been having most the other side effects of pregnancy minus morning sickness, headaches, hemorrhoids (thank goodness), or varicose veins...oh yeah...or moodiness because I am a perfect angel.

After going over some general information about the pregnancy they focused on what the coach, or Mark in my case, could do to help alleviate some discomforts and offer support. Mark learned a lot in this lesson because like I said, or maybe I didn't, he was pretty sure babies still got delivered by the stork. Haha, I kid, I kid.

Danielle

PS. I'll post this at the bottom of all my bradley post. Although I go over some of what was in our workbook this is definately not a substitute for the class. I would recommend buying or renting Bradley Method books and taking the class to get the most about learning this birth method. I also in my Bradley Series posts use information and/or quotes pulled straight from our workbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment