Friday, September 28, 2012

Sleepless Nights a Pain in the Bum

From the start I had to get up and go to the restroom about 4 times a night. Now I get up about 3x's for that, about 4x's for dreams, and about 3x's for a pain in my bum. Physically a pain in my bum. My butt cheek I should say. I haven't quite figured out what it's from. I thought it was the leg cramps that I've heard you can get when your pregnant and often times when your sleeping but typically you can stretch a cramp out and this pain goes no where until it's good and ready. Sometimes it's a mild, numbing pain and other times it's so sharp I could almost cry. I've gotten up and bent over, I've tried to walk it off. One night it was so bad I couldn't even walk. I can feel the onset of this similar pain sneaking up on me in the middle of the day but it never makes a full presentation until about 2 in the morning...or 4am or 7am.

I have done some researching and am still not sure if it is the cramp or perhaps this sciatic nerve pain that others talk about. They say it's a shooting/numbing pain and that is is very sharp. It is common in pregnancy but not usually until later. It's supposed to start in your lower back & buttocks and work it's way down your leg. I have yet to have it move past my booty so I don't know what it is. I am also doing some self observing here and I am starting to think that it might correlate with dehydration, a poor diet, or lack of exercise. The days that I eat well and have drank plenty of water I seem to sleep fine. The days I wake up thirsty are also the times I have that shooting pain.

Aside from the pain in the bum I have all these crazy dreams. I don't mind the dreams that much, in fact I typically enjoy dreams. They entertain me. I have nightmares sometimes though and that's no fun. Sometimes I get mad at Mark because of a bad dream I had with him in it until I really wake up and realize it was just a crappy dream. Although I pretty much enjoy dreams they are hindering my good sleep. I wake up often with them good or bad for some reason.

Before pregnancy I would usually try to sleep through having to go to the bathroom but I know now it is pointless. I will have to go and it will have to be multiple times and that's ok too. Thankfully I can fall asleep pretty quickly after getting up to use the ladies room.

One thing that is fun I get to see waking up night is Eli being silly. I sleep on my side and  I basically use Mark as my "pregnancy pillow" because I drape my top leg over him and my top arm plus I wedge my belly so close to him that he adds support to that too. I'm not sure if Eli runs out of room or what but when I wake up in the middle of the night my belly is often lopsided and there is a hard ball of baby all pushed to one side...the side that is up and not pressed against Mark. I usually get a big smile from this even though I'm getting up for the 4th or 5th ....or 6th time.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment