Monday, December 17, 2012

Hair Cut While Pregnant

I actually googled "Hair cut while pregnant" before I decided to get my hair cut and very silly things came up. "Is it safe to cut my hair while pregnant", "Should you cut your hair while pregnant"....etc. They were all silly and I don't know what I was expecting.

I was thinking of a drastic change. My hair was very, very long at one point and while it was beautiful it was a pain in the butt and I mostly wore it up. I then cut my hair Sept of last year to above my shoulders and it was cute and sassy/sexy but required much confidence to pull it off. Now, it was getting to the "in between" medium length style that is cute but nothing special.

I had thought a big change would be nice and I decided I was going to chop it all off again. My only concern is that I have about 5 weeks left in this pregnancy and if swelling got the best of me and my face, along with the rest of me, ended up resembling the "michelin man" would short hair be completely awful? I decided to risk it and go for anyways.

Below are the two photos I brought in a reference. 

 The above is a little crazy and I realize it wouldn't look like this every day but I really think it is sexy and fun.
Also, while I'm not a huge Paris Hilton fan, I thought this one might be a little more on the safer side.

The hair dresser had long hair and was insistent that I didn't cut my hair and that I let it grow. She said she loved long hair and it was always hard for her to encourage someone to cut their hair off. This was a little frustrating but I was proud of myself of holding my ground and telling her I still wanted it done.

Several snips later she turned me around and in the mirror...this is what I saw....

Hmmmm...it is still a medium length hair style. Not off the shoulders as asked for and very clean cut which I asked not for. Sigh....I feel like I wasted my money on this cut and I wish I would have said something while I was there. I left not happy at all but....but...perhaps it was a blessing in disguise.

I have found myself not nearly confident enough to pull of the short style I thought I wanted and occasionally after a big salty meal or traveling in a car for too long my face does get bigger and the shorter hair seems less flattering than the longer hair. I can't imagine if it was actually as short as the inspiration photos I brought in.

I think I will give myself some time after Eli to get back into shape, lose any water retention, and then re-evaluate how short and sassy I really want my hair. If I get back to my very confident self I will most likely go for the chop.

When I googled "Hair cut while pregnant" I was curious about those that made a big change in their do and were pleased or not pleased. Being pregnant you're limited on a lot of things and sometimes you think a big hair change will make you feel better but perhaps sometimes it makes you more self conscious.

When I put some curls in my hair at this length it is kind of fun too.

I won't complain or do anything too drastic until after Eli.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment