Monday, December 3, 2012

DIY Eli Frames

Before I even knew for sure we were having a boy I was leaning towards a Dr. Seuss theme. I was at Micheal's Craft Store earlier in my pregnancy and looking for whimsical type items or anything I might could use in the nursery and I found these unique, wooden, unfinished scroll frames. I bought 3 thinking that even if it wasn't an Eli in my tummy that 3 would be perfect for initials as well.

Now obviously I'll never get famous on pintrest because DIY instructions are not my thing. In fact I forgot to even get a good picture of the "before" with these frames. I am more of a "Hey look what I did!" kind of person than a step one, step two kindda gal. That being said if you look closely in this picture below...sitting on our changing table (also the before of our changing table) you will see a set of wooden frames.
 I decided after we learned it was indeed an Eli in my belly that we would paint them red to match the rest of the furniture. I had plans to buy the letters E L I online in some fun font and paint them white or perhaps white with yellow pinstripe but when we were wondering around the new Hobby Lobby we just got in our area I found perfectly acceptable  letters that were already white and while I debated on painting the letters yellow or yellow striped we decided not too.

 I'd love to take full credit for this project but Mark was actually the one that put on the first 2 coats of red paint to the frames. The frames were unfinished wood and soaked up the red paint so it took 3 coats and we might could even do a 4th but decided against it.


I did paint the 3rd coat though and it was a bit of a pain getting in each little scroll. I was glad Mark had gotten a head start on these. After we finished we let them dry and then took them into the nursery. We held them up against the wall above the crib and fell in love with them instantly. We held up the white "E" that we got from Hobby Lobby and the two together were a perfect match, forget dealing with the yellow pinstripe.

I don't want to give away the full effect of the room just yet but so you can see the colors all together and the finished project of the frames I'll show you a cropped picture taken from my phone of what they turned out like.

When you see it all together in our nursery reveal I know you will love it. I do! I know the frames are scrolly and I think they have the potential to be girly but with our theme and the colors I think they look just fine. Mark also really likes them so I know they fit even in a boys room.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment