Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Postpartum prep!

Today was a really good day. I met with a friend for brunch at one of my favorite brunch places and then I  wonderful pre-natal massage. I've been putting it off and Mark finally booked it for me. He is a sweetheart but I think that he was mostly tired of hearing me complain about my discomforts. After that I had two options...go to work or go postpartum shopping. I decided to continue my good day with postpartum shopping. I have also been putting that off and there was a couple of things I wanted to get to prepare. 

Oh...by the way....this is postpartum talk here so no boys allowed!!!! ;) It seems like you prep for the birth so much that many people forget the healing process that takes place afterwards. Obviously I am not fully aware of what this will be like, but I did a little bit of research and collected the items I felt I would appreciate in the days/weeks after birth.

I don't think I've ever had so much fun shopping for bras and pads before in my life! Haha! At this stage in the game, it is indeed these kind of things that make a girl smile. My postpartum bag is sort of my light at the end of the tunnel. Well, Eli is really the light a the end of the tunnel BUT these things come after that so I know the end is near.

I completed my shopping at target and here is the list of items I got:

  • Pads, extra incredibly large, medium, and small
  • 6 pack of Hanes "granny panties" 
  • 4 pairs of not as granny "granny panties
  • 2 nursing bras
  • 1 nursing tank
  • 1 tummy support tank
  • 1 pack disposable nursing pads
  • Witch hazel
  • Dermoplast
  • Bio Oil
  • Lanolin

One thing I am really looking forward to is wearing pads bigger than my sons diapers. NOT, but it's all part of it. I have plans for these pads before they grace my delicate lady parts. You may have heard of the "postpartum padsicle" but if not...don't you worry. I will tell you all about it. 


I'm also looking forward to the granny panties. Especially since I have worn nothing more than thongs for the last 5 years! I have even stayed true to my pantie of choice throughout my pregnancy with no problems but, I have accepted that postpartum will be a different story. Plus that, no thong I own is going to hold those monster pads in place so to the "six pack o panties" I go. There is a lot of things I like to buy in bulk but panties...yikes...what is my life turning into. 

The Witch hazel is a part of my padsicle plan but I've heard it's also soothing for minor cuts and safe for the downstairs region. In fact, you can even make your own hemorrhoid treatment from witch hazel, so if that becomes a problem I should be able to find some relief with this stuff. 
I have also read on multiple blogs that Dermoplast is amazing to spray your damaged goods with postpartum. I heard that the hospital will give you some (or something along those lines) but just to be safe I bought my own. I will most likely double check with my Dr. first before spraying this stuff downstairs but it sounds like a winner so far. 

This stuff is supposed to be very impressive for stretch marks and while I have my doubts, I had an extra $10 to spend on a supposed amazing product so I'll give it a try. I heard first hand from a couple of people that it drastically improved the appearance of their stretch marks or scars. I am one to think that once you've got 'em they are there for good but like I said...for $10 I will give it a try. 


This "Basics" brand was definitely the most comfortable of all the nursing products I tried on. Also the more expensive brand but I figured I'd do the less is more approach so instead of getting several bras and tanks I just got two of each and will wear these suckers out until I need them no more. I am also not sure how much I will use products like this so I figured I could add to my collection later. The nursing tank has a compression belly so I am excited about that. I am not looking forward to the postpartum jello tummy. 

Now I have shared with you some of my postpartum products and I am always open to suggestions. I look forward to seeing which items become my "Postpartum Must Haves" and which ones I wasted my  money on. 

Walking up the register with the combo of items was fun! In a failed attempt to make it not so obvious I was doing major postpartum preparation I also bought these items... 


Or...maybe I just bought them because I wanted to. You know Target has a way of doing that. 

Thanks for checking in!

Danielle 

No comments:

Post a Comment