Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Big Boy Bed

I'm sure you've seen those posts around Facebook about the last times with your kids that you don't realize are your last times. Like the last time you bathe your child, the last time you kiss them goodnight, the last time you help them brush their teeth..... I always start reading them, see where they're headed and then click X before I bawl my eyes out. I get it time flies but I can't dwell on this fact or it leaves me in tears for days. 
Two days ago we randomly decided that we would transform Eli's crib to his full size bed. The poor thing is 2 & 1/2 and the size of a 4 year old but we still had him in his crib figuring we might as well keep the beast caged as long as we could but, alas, the time had come. 
The process was easy, the transition was smooth and Eli can't tell me enough that he "likes and WUUUVVS his new bed". It's had "Cars" theme bedding and he loves that too. Mostly I feel happy about this but part of me feels sad. The night before his big boy bed was his last night in his crib and I didn't even know it. In fact, I'm pretty sure Mark tucked him in that night and even sadder than that, I can't remember if that's true or not. I didn't peak on him that night or take a picture or relish in the fact that it was his very last night in his baby crib. The crib he slept in (or lack there of) from the time he was 6 weeks old! He didn't know either. I didn't tell him it was his last night in his baby crib and he had no idea he was about to make a change that would never be reversed. 
The only thing that keeps me grounded through this "milestone" is that his mattress now sits in his future sisters crib. Up high in the crib where she will lay safe but Eli would jump right out. I know time will fly with her too but I know before it does, time will seem to drag through sleepless nights and cries. This makes me smile knowing that tonight I will sleep, all night! Tomorrow Eli will tell me when he wants a drink, food, if he hurts. He'll give me hugs, go on walks with me, tell me he loves me, sing me a song, ask for a story and it took us 2.5 great years to get to this point. All throughout those 2.5 years were wonderful too but I love & cherish the present. It really is the best gift God has ever given me and I never realized how much so until Eli came a long. 

Stalker mom of his first night in a big boy bed!
And a few new car accessories to go along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment