Friday, September 14, 2012

Our First Ultrasound

Mark, my husband was so excited about this little bundle of joy from day one. He was supportive of my feelings and knew that any doubt I had would go away some day & sooner that later. He had been to each doctors appointment, bought me the classic "What to Expect" book, tried to be sure I had everything I needed including putting crackers and ginger ale on my nightstand even though I really didn't suffer with morning sickness, he read our baby app that stated what fruit our dear child was the size of each week, (those of you sharing in this maternity adventure know what I'm talking about. I remember when it was just a blueberry and now...a banana. Haha!) and he was the main reason, in the beginning, that I could accept this little bundle as a bundle of joy and not a bundle of...inconvenience.

July 31st was morning of our first REAL ultrasound...not just the little dot on the screen and Mark had a meeting at work he could not get out of. I should have rescheduled our appointment and I still regret that I didn't because it was such an incredible moment. I thought that we would be looking at another dot, maybe a slightly bigger dot, perhaps a blob, but nothing more did I think we would see at this stage in time. I was thought to be 12 weeks a long and my all knowing iphone app, that has already proven itself more valuable than my OB so far, stated our child was hardly a half an ounce and about 2-3 inches long. "That's great" I thought, "What is the point of this ultrasound?!"

I awoke from my sleep this morning, got dressed, in my lightest clothes possible since I knew I'd be weighing in once again and made my way the appointment, alone. No handy husband to keep me entertained. Sign in, wait the typical 20 min, get called by a new person not my Dr. and am directed to a new room. This room was softly lit with a reclining "bed" type deal and a big screen TV on the wall. Instantly I knew Mark was going to be pissed disappointed. The ultrasound tech was a younger lady and got right to work. Small talk from the lady, a little blue goo on the belly, tv on, magic wand that shows you your growing child touches the skin and what to my wondering eyes should appear ......OUR BABY!!!!





What in the ******?!?!?!?!?! It's a person! A tiny adorable little kicking and twirling PERSON. How does it look like a person? It's supposed to be a "plum" and hardly weigh a half an ounce. I could see tiny hands, tiny feet, a head, a nose, and this was our baby living life inside of me. It did flips and turns and kicked! I could hardly contain myself and tried not to annoy the lady but I couldn't help but giggle the whole time and feel a little sad that Mark was not there to see this defining moment.

The lady stated in a confident tone that our due date of February 9th was going to have to be changed to January 28th. I admit I tell everyone my due date is January 25th. For no good reason really, just that it makes it seem sooner and sounds more like a January birthday than a possible February one. So instead of 12 weeks along I was about 14 and although I had found a new unexplainable joy this day I had no argument against moving the due date up as far as she wanted. She also asked me if I wanted to know the sex of the baby. I know what you're thinking, at 14 weeks? I thought that too but what the heck. I texted Mark and he did not respond. I told the lady to tell me anyways and she did. We didn't keep it a secret and it sure didn't stop us from buying things but I tried to tell myself not to get too excited until our 20 week ultrasound and then we would know for sure.

I left the appointment that day feeling on top of the world. I talked to my mom and my mother in law and couldn't give them ALL the details until I talked with Mark. Thankfully he was getting a lunch break shortly after my appointment ended so I could see him and show him the pictures of our growing baby and my growing love!

Danielle 

Original Post 9/10 transferred from WordPress. Am I the only one who just couldn't get that site? 

No comments:

Post a Comment